Sign up is now open! Click here to register to participate in the 16th annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run
The 2014 Sand Creek Spiritual Healing Run/Walk will start on November 29 at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site near Eads, Colorado, and will end on the west steps of the Colorado State Capitol on December 3. The Run is a commemoration for victims and survivors of the massacre, and for healing of ancestral homelands. All are welcome to participate. Route and more details coming soon.
Visit the Sand Creek Healing Run facebook page for continuously updated information
Thank you to Rocky Mountain PBS for providing this PSA, calling for all to engage in the healing process:
Click to download the 150th Commemoration and 16th Annual Healing Run Schedule
Routes, Shuttles/Parking, and Accommodations
For a complete list of shuttle and parking options for the Denver portion of the Healing Run on December 3, view this. Notes about parking at Riverside and downtown have been extracted from document below:
NOTES ABOUT PARKING AT RIVERSIDE CEMETERY
- Please take the shuttles to avoid having too many cars at Riverside Cemetery
- At Riverside, follow directions from traffic directors. Do not park alongside the streets in the Cemetery
- Overflow parking: Once Riverside Cemetery parking is full, park at Colorado National Guard (5275 Franklin Street), at the corner of Franklin and 53rd. From the entrance of Riverside, go southwest toward Race Ct., turn right (northwest) onto Race Ct. Turn right (north) onto Franklin, and the parking will be to your left. There will be a shuttle to transport you to Riverside from the overflow parking area.
PARKING OPTIONS FOR DOWNTOWN DENVER
- Park at the Sheraton Hotel
- Daily: $8.00 per hour with a maximum charge of $29; Monday – Friday after 4:00pm until 2:00am – $10.00; All day Saturday & Sunday – $10.00
- Overnight: $29.00
- Oversize Vehicles: $35.00
- More info here: http://www.sheratondenverdowntown.com/hotel-directions
- Look up alternative places to park using the websites below. You can search by arrival/departure times
- Take the free mall ride on 16th Street Mall to get from 15th and Arapahoe to the Capitol, and then back. More info here: http://www.rtd-denver.com/FREEMallRide.shtml
Need a place to stay or eat along the route?
View dining and lodging accommodations in Lamar, Colorado, here
View dining and lodging accommodations in Kit Carson, Colorado, here
Media about the Healing Run
Photo slideshow: The Sand Creek Massacre Healing Run
Information for members of the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribe of Oklahoma
A Geneaology Report form is also available to help you track your genealogy.
Governor Eddie Hamilton and Lt. Governor Cornell Sankey invite all Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribal members to attend the Denver, Colorado Shareholders Meeting on December 2 at 4 p.m. at the Denver Art Museum (100 W. 14th Ave, Denver). Please see the flier below for more information.
Elders, please see the flier below, inviting you to join in on this year’s Healing Run.
Sand Creek Massacre Healing Run/Walk Protocol
Please see the guidelines for Runners/Walkers below, or download here
Guidelines Below Are Provided by the Denver Sand Creek Planning Committee
- The Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk is a prayer.
- The Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk is not a race.
- The Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk is a commemoration for the victims and survivors of the massacre, and for healing ancestral homelands.
- The Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk is led by two Eagle Staffs (one for Cheyenne, one for Arapaho) representing prayers of the spiritual leaders who had a vision of healing and reconciliation for the ancestors of those killed at the Sand Creek Massacre site and for the future generations who reside in other parts of North America.
- All runners and walkers are expected to respect the main Eagle Staff. Some may bring other staffs with which to run/walk; however, we request that you stay behind the main staff.
- Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in honoring the meaning of the Sand Creek Spiritual Healing Run/Walk.